Monday, March 29, 2010

Our Backyard

Directly behind our house is the edge of a beautifully manicured golf course, but beyond that is this rougher back country where we love to run & bike. A little lake lures me to use its surrounding path as a track where I (try to) do sprint workouts... darn heat

Love passing this point... lots of birds, white cranes usually rest here, but I scared all away today

Flora surprisingly survives the dry season. This winter I showed my deaf school teachers a picture of our woods in winter. "What flowers in the snow?" they asked. Their jaws seriously dropped when I told them we really have no flowers between November and March in Michigan. They gave me a sad, "Oh, you poor person," look like I probably give upon seeing "poor" situations here

Pineapple fields


Pineapple flower

Passing the parking lot for golf course workers... often a cart sits here selling pineapple, fruit & morning breakfast to arriving caddies & gardeners

On past the perfectly groomed practice putts

Old driving range. I don't typically see anyone here, it's super quiet and my hideaway. Every place I have ever lived has some enchanted spot in the neighborhood where I go to get away


Wish this path wasn't paved. Coming down the mountain reminds of Lake Michigan's wooded dunes, with billowing grasses & fallen leaves. I saw a squirrel skitter across path yesterday. I see maybe one a month, little ones... heat & snakes (?) keep numbers in a different order from back home where bushy tails multiply faster

Back on the golf course... this sculpture always reminds of my beautiful & lovely snister, Christer

Hot season pushes out spring blossoms as do spring rains back home, but no "spring" here. It's just a section on the calendar. 3 seasons in Thailand: hot, very hot, and rainy hot. I can dream & this reminds me of spring
                            
Sprinkler gusto

Another extremely common form of irrigation here... people powered


One eye on the trees, another on the ground... last night my footstrike nearly came down on this snake while Rob & I were jogging. Startled me leapt right into his path (startling, but not befuddling Rob's focus, as he set a new PR on his weekend route. Congrats, dear). Seemed a motorbike ran over part of spine, couldn't tell if dead or alive, kept running, but its head was large triangular shape of green pit viper, body mostly intact, fresh, plump, hydrated. I came back with camera 12 hours later this morning and it's the shriveled thing I've been seeing every few days on my bikes & runs. Hardly saw any until a month ago. I hear it's snake mating season

Hardly any rain since last November

Inspiration for someday if we build that little place up North

Back to our reality & privilege to live on this side of the mountain

Others have asked this question... Why are some blessed with one shape of mountain and others one from a seemingly different architect? Wishing you peace today, Khun Mayuri, with your mountain.