Friday, September 10, 2010

Teeth Woe is Us

Poor Ry. Today she broke her 2 front, permanent teeth.  Just walking in a classroom, tripped. A good 25% of both front & center teeth... gone.  Into nervy, root pulp area... pain.  Gonna have to wait a couple months to see if they can be saved, but she thankfully got patched up for the time being.  Pretty darn well, I pray. It looks good, to my anything-but-knowledgeable eye.

Scary to know who to trust.  It's not me, it's my child! She hasn't had these teeth for even a year, needs them for many, many more... and they're front & center. Still relying on our own dentists back home & an ortho up in Bangkok for Allie, who do we see & trust in a moment's notice in a town with skanky looking dental clinics on literally every other corner?  They're truly everywhere here.

Her school principal directed us to another school parent who is a dentist and we got in with him an hour later. Feeling pretty good about his work, time will tell.  By the looks of the outside of his office, I wouldn't have picked him.  But someone's mother once reminded to never judge a book cover, and I think that applies to Thai dental office fronts as well. I pray that Ry & her broken teeth live happily ever after.  And while she's working that out, we have yet another lesson in bending with the breeze.

$60 total fee for x-ray & 2 hours of extremely tedious crafting & repairing on a wiggly child. I had 2 small cavities filled this summer in the States... 45 minutes total, at a cost of $231 EACH. I know, because I just wrote the check.  Hmmmmm. What kind of dental reform is in that new healthcare package, Mr. President?

Gotta scoot, just heard the tooth fairy coming.